Rechargeable batteries are in everything. Look around you now, and within your reach are probably half a dozen devices that include rechargeable batteries.
Given the number of gadgets that house the rechargeable batteries that live in your home, it’s good that they are surprisingly safe and rarely burn.
Yes, yes, the battery can burn.
Fortunately, the battery usually issues a warning before it spouts into the fireball. And if you know the warning signs, you can deal with them before you get a nasty surprise.
The warning signs you need to make sure your smartphone or laptop battery may be ready to explode are:
1. The gadget gets really hot
This is a big warning sign that something bad can happen imminently.
Also: Is a long USB-C charging cable at risk of fire?
2. The device is swollen or the seam is ruptured
Rechargeable batteries can swell dramatically when they fail, which can push the display out of the smartphone and bend or swell the case of laptops and other gadgets.
3. The device emits an unpleasant chemical odor
This is another warning sign. It may not be a battery failure here, but the pungent odor from the gadget is a sign that needs to be checked.
Needless to say, this is a problem that should not be ignored.
5. The device does not charge properly
This may not be an imminent sign that your smartphone, laptop, or other gadget is on fire, but it’s a sign that something is wrong and it’s worth checking your device for safety.
Also: Is your MacBook charged?The contents to be confirmed are as follows
6. Liquid leaking from the device
This may not be the battery, but it’s still a warning sign that shouldn’t be ignored. If it doesn’t come from the battery, it comes from something.
7. The device has been seriously damaged
It may be a big fall with the case dented, crushed or bent. This is an issue that should not be ignored if the battery can be damaged or punctured.
What to do if a fire breaks out
If you encounter any of these signs, discontinue use of the device and seek professional help. In the meantime, place the device in a location that will not cause major problems if the device burns (on a metal tray, concrete, something that does not catch and spread the fire).
If the device catches fire, do not splash water on it. It can get worse when exposed to water. This is when you can save the day by using the right fire extinguisher. Don’t you have Buy now. seriously.
If the fire is small and a fire extinguisher is not available, you can prevent the spread of fire by covering the device with a refractory material (metal pot or glass bowl). But don’t miss a chance where there is a fire concern. The safest way is to evacuate the area and call emergency services.